Mexico Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Take a look at our FAQs for more information about Mexico Insurance coverages, discounts, deductibles and more.
Don't see what you're looking for? Give us a call at 1-866-575-2877. One of our experts will be happy to help.
- What if I have questions filling out the Mexico insurance online application?
- What if we have two registered vehicle owners and we need auto insurance for Mexico?
- What basic coverages do you offer for traveling in Mexico?
- How does your auto insurance coverage differ from other companies offering Mexico insurance coverage?
- I had trouble printing my policy and/or did not receive a confirmation e-mail. How can I get a copy of my policy?
- What if I need to cancel my coverage?
- Can I extend my Mexico Insurance policy, or do I need to buy another policy if I extend my trip?
- What is the Fixed Deductible option available on my Mexico Insurance policy?
- Are there any discounts available to those who frequently travel to Mexico?
- What happens if we have an accident in Mexico?
1. What if I have questions filling out the Mexico insurance online application?
If you have questions about your Mexico Insurance online application we are here to help. Give us a call at 1-866-575-2877.
2. What if we have two registered vehicle owners and we need auto insurance for Mexico?
Your Mexico Insurance policy does not require that all of the owners or drivers of the vehicle be listed on the policy. One registered owner must be listed. Any driver with a valid non-Mexican driver's license, and the owner's permission to drive, will be covered as if their name were on the policy.
3. What basic coverages do you offer for traveling in Mexico?
You'll get coverages similar to those offered by U.S. insurers, including Collision, Theft, Other Than Collision, Medical Payments to Occupants, Third Party Liability, Legal Aid, and Roadside Assistance.
4. How does your auto insurance coverage differ from other companies offering Mexico insurance coverage?
Insuring your vehicle for use in Mexico is like insuring your car, motorcycle, or RV in the U.S. or Canada – the coverages you need will depend on how you plan to use your vehicle while traveling in Mexico. We have the flexibility to offer basic coverages as well as additional services. And every policy includes legal assistance in the event that you need it, as the legal consequences of traffic accidents can be very different in Mexico.
How else are we different? We can provide the insurance coverage that best suits your needs. As an example, take a look at the ABA Plus Package, and see for yourself.
5. I had trouble printing my policy and/or did not receive a confirmation e-mail. How can I get a copy of my policy?
When you purchase insurance from us, we e-mail you a receipt, the declaration page, and the terms and conditions of your Mexico insurance policy. We also include a link, User ID and Password, which you can use to log in to our site. From our site you can:
- Download and reprint your policy
- Cancel/Void your policy
- Request a new policy from previously issued policy information
If you did not receive your confirmation e-mail, or you need to contact us for any reason, please e-mail email@example.com or you may call us at 1-866-575-2877 from 7 am to 5:30 pm PDT, Monday - Friday.
6. What if I need to cancel my coverage?
All Mexico insurance cancellation requests must be received in writing. You can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 1-928-213-8476. Include your name, policy number, reason for cancellation and your contact information. Our service team will respond as quickly as possible.
7. Can I extend my Mexico Insurance policy, or do I need to buy another policy if I extend my trip?
Extensions are not available on your existing policy if it expires. However, you can purchase another policy for as little as one day to as long as a year. It’s easy! Just log in with your assigned User ID and Password, or call us directly at 1-866-575-2877, Monday - Friday, 7 am to 5:30 pm (PDT).
8. What is the Fixed Deductible option available on my Mexico Insurance policy?
One of the greatest challenges to U.S. and Canadian drivers is understanding the use of percentage deductibles in the Mexican insurance industry. Typically, our clients have had to absorb deductibles of 2% of the vehicle value for collision claims and 5% of the vehicle value for Theft claims in Mexico.
What does this mean for you? A percentage deductible, if you have a very valuable car, means a very high deductible. Perhaps higher than you’d like.
Many U.S. and Canadian lenders/lienholders/leasing companies now require that deductibles be fixed at $500 for collision and $1,000 for theft. National General Insurance, for example, requires that you purchase our Fixed Deductible option combined with at least $100,000 in liability insurance coverage for Mexico. By choosing the fixed deductible option on our Mexico Insurance quote request form, you can be assured that you will not be surprised by unexpectedly large deductibles in the event of a loss.
It’s our way of providing you with the best possible financial protection.
9. Are there any discounts available to those who frequently travel to Mexico?
If you visit Mexico frequently, our six-month and annual-policy term options could provide you with enormous savings!
10. What happens if we have an accident in Mexico?
If you have an accident in Mexico:
- Stay calm.
- Immediately call the 01-800 number included in the insurance claims instructions page of your policy.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended, unless you are being taken for medical treatment.
- Our adjusters will respond immediately and come to the scene.
- They will provide further instructions based on your specific situation.
RVs are special. Get specialized insurance from the RV insurance experts at National General Insurance.Learn More
Peace of mind for your possessions, and surprisingly affordable.Learn More